Today I sat down to write and Starbucks’ irritating and contrived folk music drained my inspiration so I put in my headphones, played some Travis Scott and decided to do this tag! Meditative Owl is who I saw doing it first and I thought it’d be fun! So here goes:
1. What is your usual Starbucks order?
Today it’s jasmine tea! I hate coffee.
2. What does your workstation look like right now?
My recording desk is splayed with my songwriting folder, some jewellery, some clothes, deodorant and other miscellaneous items – in other words, I need to tidy my room.
3. All time favourite food?
Pizza. Easy. Nowadays something dairy-free and preferably with some black olives.
4. Favourite author?
I haven’t read a string of books from the same author since I was a teenager, so it would have to be something from young adult literature. Laurie Halse Anderson wrote some brilliant, disturbing books about teenage girls’ lives falling apart. Sarah Dessen is another great author – she gave me hope that a guy could like me just the way I was, whether I was – like her characters – a prom queen throwing up in a bush behind school or a nobody constantly running away and changing my name.
5. What do you think of open relationships?
I think it’s something I’d struggle with personally because my sense of attachment is inherently a bit shaky. I need to know that I’m the only one somebody wants (in a romantic sense). If other people can find security and joy in open relationships, that’s great.
6. What is your favourite video game?
Animal Crossing. 🐶
7. Guilty pleasure treat?
Literally anything, I’m a slut for junk food. When I ate dairy, it would’ve been the Scottish delicacy that is the pizza crunch – a deep-fried, battered pizza. No shame.
8. Favourite movie?
The Silence Of The Lambs.
9. Favourite book?
One book I absolutely adore is Breathe by Sophie-Anne Brasme. It’s about an unhealthy and obsessive friendship with themes of manipulation, dominance and submission. I had a best friend at primary school who walked all over me and made me feel like a wet blanket a lot of the time so I identify with that book in a lot of ways. I want to re-read it now!
10. Twitter or Instagram?
Both have the potential to be really disgusting and are breeding grounds for narcissism. Brené Brown referred to the reactionary comment sections of YouTube videos as the “cesspool” of society. But they’re great platforms for promoting your work and connecting with people, if you can distance yourself from the pull of the negative shit.
11. Desktop or laptop?
Laptop – because I can record with it at home and also take it out with me to blog! I have a MacBook at the moment, which is crazy to me because they’re so expensive. But I got it secondhand a few years back.
12. Best advice you’ve ever received?
Not really advice but a counsellor said to me: “I think you could do anything you put your mind to, the problem is you don’t believe it.” It made me take self-esteem seriously.
13. What project are you working on right now?
I’m working on a music collaboration with a rapper called Skott 3ree, so I need to finish that ASAP.
14. Favourite colour?
Pink. Which is a direct response to feeling as if my femininity was repressed to a certain degree as a child growing up in a house with two males.
15. Did you get good grades at school?
I did mostly. Did great in primary – struggled with maths, chemistry and modern studies at high school.
16. Dream job?
Recording artist and performer.
17. Played any sports?
I did netball in high school but I wasn’t great at it and spent most practices being surrounded by girls I didn’t click with. But I did karate for 1-2 years from the age of 13 and had a great aptitude for it.
18. Do you have a degree?
Scottish. Although I have a distinctly English last name and have no idea where it came from.
20. What is your favourite kind of blog post to do?
I like doing thinkpieces if it’s something that’s been on my mind for a while because I feel like I get to really enjoy using language and analogy to convey what I mean. I feel like I also get to dip into philosophy a bit, which is one of the subjects I studied at university before I dropped out.
21. What do you like to collect? Lipsticks. I honestly have to have a conversation with myself when I’m buying a new one: “Hannah, you already own this colour. You do not need 5 identical nude lipsticks.”
22. Describe yourself in three words
Creative, sensitive and opinionated.
23. If you were a rapper what would your rapper name be?
SMUT. is already my stage name, so I’d probably just copy the saturated trend of adding Yung to the beginning of that – Yung Smut.
24. Who was the last person you DMed?
My friend Ava on Instagram.
25. What’s on the top of your wish list right now?
A chain to put on my jeans or a Carhartt pullover jacket. Or a new tattoo.
26. Hogwarts house?
I’m not a Harry Potter fan, sorry. But from what I know about it, I’d like to be in Slytherin.
27. How many tattoos do you have?
6! Om sign on my back, Picasso sketch on my upper arm, grandmother’s name on my forearm, my year of birth in roman numerals on my other arm, a wasp on my wrist (a reference to a chapter in The Shining called The Wasp’s Nest) and “LET IT BE” on my collarbone. And yes, I want more.
28. What are you most grateful for this year?
The open mic I go to on a Monday. It’s been one of the most transformative things to come into my life in recent years.
29. What’s the best thing that’s happened to you this month?
Playing my first gig performing my r’n’b music.
30. What’s the best thing that’s happened to you today?
31. What’s the best thing ever?
Looking into a stranger’s eyes and seeing God.
32. Favourite season?
Summer. I think I’m cold-blooded.
33. Favourite holiday?
Any of the few trips we took to London in the summer when I was a kid.
34. Which fictional character do you relate to most?
I’m drawing a blank as if I haven’t watched hours upon hours of film and TV and read tons of books… I relate to April in the film Palo Alto, played by Emma Roberts.
35. Do you like surprises?
Not really. Although I haven’t ever had a surprise party or anything. I’m grateful if anyone gets me anything, regardless of what capacity that’s in.
36. What’s the biggest surprise you’ve ever had?
This is bleak but probably finding out at 13 that my Dad did heroin. I’ve never been so shocked about anything in my life.
37. What’s a surprise that made you cry?
38. What’s the best surprise you’ve ever given anyone?
For Valentine’s with my first boyfriend, I booked us into a fancy hotel for 2 nights in Glasgow. He was more well-off than me and was nice enough to treat me a lot of the time, so it felt brilliant to reciprocate. And he was delighted.
39. Do you like muffins?
40. Do you cook often?
Yeah, fairly often. I try to make big amounts of stuff that I can eat through the week at work like soup, chilli or pasta.
41. What’s your favourite dessert?
I’m not fussy, I like pretty much anything sweet. At the moment I’m off the refined sugar so virtually everything is off limits 😒
42. Is there a dessert you don’t like?
Trifle. It’s awful!
43. Cake or pie?
I feel like pie exists in the US and the US alone. I’d love to try a cherry pie though.
44. What’s your least favourite food?
45. What’s your favourite condiment?
Mayonnaise on chips. Sex offender behaviour according to my last boyfriend!😂
46. It’s 4am on a Saturday night, what would you eat?
47. If you could teach a college class what would it be called?
Enmeshment and emotional separation from caregivers.
48. Best animated film?
Sleeping Beauty. I love how dark it is but at the same time aesthetically pleasing.
49. What has a guy done or said to impress you?
My last boyfriend said to me when I confessed my depression: “You’ll get out of it, and I’ll be there with you every step of the way.”
50. Best thing to do on a first date?
Depends what the intentions are. If it’s really about getting to know someone, maybe a walk somewhere. I’m not fussy. Getting food is good because I eat a lot and I don’t want to be with someone that expects me to pick at a salad or something.
51. Worst thing to do on a first date?
A restaurant. Too formal and tense. If we’re getting food it needs to be a street food place or a café.
52. What’s the funniest pick up line a guy could use on a girl?
They’re only ever funny because they’re so pathetic. Dad jokes are more tolerable though.
53. Best comic book character?
Enid Coleslaw from Ghost World. I’m not into comics but this one was adapted into a film of the same name that I love.
54. What are three things that are always in your purse?
Keys, wallet and lipbalm.
55. Favourite drink?
An amaretto sour. Also off limits right now because of the sugar 😭
56. If you could play a historical character who would it be?
My knowledge of history is truly atrocious. I’ve got nothing.
57. Kittens or puppies?
Kittens. Cat person here!
58. Favourite sushi roll?
Anything vegan. I’m not vegan but I eat vegan 90% of the time.
59. What kind of lipstick do you use?
Moisturising, non-shimmery ones. Rimmel is decent.
60. What kind of foundation do you use?
Nars Sheer Glow in its lightest shade Siberia.
61. Blow dry or air dry?
Blow-dry if I’m wearing it straight. Air dry if I’m leaving it wavy.
62. Who is your fashion icon?
63. Favourite Disney character?
64. What are you doing tomorrow?
65. Movie you laughed the hardest through?
66. Movie that made you cry?
An easier question would be what films haven’t made me cry. I always cry at The Silence Of The Lambs and American Beauty. There’s a lot more I’m sure.
67. If you could sing a duet with someone who would it be?
Ty Dolla $ign. I adore his voice.
68. If your life was a song what would the title be?
69. What’s your favourite animal?
I quite like Pomeranian dogs.
70. Favourite illustrator?
Kathryn @myillustratedmind on Instagram. Or my best friend Holly.
71. Person you want to have coffee with?
As much as he’s gotten shit in the past, Russell Brand. He admitted in a podcast with Brené Brown recently that he’d had a breakdown and I think there’s a lot of wisdom to be found in people who’ve been to that place.
72. What’s a country you wish to visit?
73. Best way to decompress?
Lemonbalm tea and chilling in bed.
Thanks very much for reading all this and indulging my self-absorption! A couple of people I’d like to see do this tag are:
– SMUT. ❤ xxxx